Friday 5 March 2010

Facebook and libraries

Taking the time to browse the Facebook pages of some of Oxford's libraries I was impressed with how they are using Facebook (and LibraryThing) to publicize new acquisitions in an attractive way and in some cases to create a real sense of community (Harris Manchester--I enjoyed the sense of dialogue with your users).
I intend to follow up on this with colleagues--how much time is spent adding new acquisitions and photos? Posting library announcements seems sensible as an adjunct to other means of communication (since only your fans will get these notices, and sometimes the people you need to communicate with are the opposite of fans!) I still haven't taken the step of joining Facebook personally, as it does seem only worthwhile if you put some time into it regularly, but perhaps I'm changing my mind about an institutional page.

No comments:

Post a Comment